Graham Crackers – a classic American snack.
Integral in every s’mores operation. Fabulous as pie crust. Phenomenal dunked in milk. Perfection with a spread of chocolate frosting. Inspiration for a spin off cereal and bear-shaped bites. Delectable as a vehicle for cream cheese. Oh, and apparently dog treats?
Bottom line: We can all agree that they’re delicious.
So why not make that deliciousness available in a vegan, gluten-free, super nutritious form? But in a way that ACTUALLY tastes like the original.
The ultimate dream.
And that dream is now a reality.
Somehow the sunflower butter, coconut sugar, maple syrup, cinnamon combo is a dead-ringer for that classic graham flavor.
Not sure how. But not questioning it.
As a vegan recipe, the ingredients are pretty adaptable. Almond flour can be swapped for ground flaxseed. Oat flour for chickpea or quinoa flour. And vise versa.
The main thing to remember? Refrain from eating all of the dough before cooking. It’s a challenge for sure.
Baking times will vary from oven to oven. Just keep an eye on your grahams and pop ’em out when they’re golden brown.
When you remove them from the oven, re-trace the slices while the crackers are still warm. Spread the pieces apart to cool and crisp up.
These grahams are amazing just as is.
But they’re even BETTER with some homemade vegan cinnamon cream cheese.
Or maybe even that Vegan Chocolate Frosting?!
Either way, you can’t go wrong.
Vegan Graham Crackers & Cinnamon Cream Cheese
- 1/4 cup sunflower seed butter
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup oat flour *subs listed below
- 3 tbsp ground flax *sub extra flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
Cinnamon Cream Cheese
- 1 package silken firm tofu
- 1/2 cup raw cashews *no need to soak
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 1/2` tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Mix together the sunflower butter, almond milk, coconut sugar, maple syrup, and vanilla until homogeneous.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl, add to the wet mixture, and stir until incorporated.
- Separate the dough into two equal portions. And try not to eat it all.
- Place half of the dough onto a piece of parchment paper the size of your cookie sheet. Press another piece of parchment on top.
- Roll out the dough until it is 1/8 inch thick. (Pro Tip: A drinking glass works as a rolling pin in a pinch.)
- Slice the flat sheet of dough into approximately 2 inch x 2 inch squares. Poke a couple sets of fork holes in each cracker.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then check the crackers. They might have expanded and grown together while baking. If so, re-trace the cuts and separate slightly.
- Bake for another 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let them cool. They will crisp up as they do so.
Cinnamon Cream Cheese
- Drain the tofu. (No need to squeeze or press.)
- Add all of the ingredients to a blender or food processor. Blend until silky smooth.
- Store in the fridge - it will be thicker when cold.