Growing up, I was my Gramy’s partner in crime.
From hanging laundry outside, to watching chick flicks, to sewing, to walks around the neighborhood – we had the best of times.
And no matter what, I could count on being her cornbread soux chef. Just her & I, a good ‘ol Jiffy mix, and a generous smear of butter. Classic and delicious.
I love you Gramy, but I took cornbread to the next level with smooth honey and bright orange flavors.
And I feel like you’d approve…take a peak.
I mean, just look at that texture!
Heart eyes for sure.
It all begins with a lighter base of applesauce, olive oil, honey, eggs, and orange.
Then come the dry ingredients.
The substitution of cassava flour enriches the nutritional profile and while the cinnamon and cardamom provide a rich, warm essence.
Pouring the batter into a greased cast iron skillet ensures an even bake.
And a gorgeous presentation vessel.
Top with extra orange slices and a generous drizzle of honey.
Trust me on the extra honey.
What do you think?
Are you down to try a re-vamped classic?
Mandarin Honey Cornmeal Skillet
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- zest and juice of half an orange
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2/3 cup cassava flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Mix together the applesauce, oil, orange juice, zest, and honey until well combined.
- Add the eggs and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients, then fold into the wet mixture.
- Pour batter into a 10” cast iron skillet.
- Bake for about 25 minutes (until a test skewer comes out clean).
- Top with fresh orange slices and a generous drizzle of honey.