Poached Pear Gingerbread
A gluten-free, vegan perfectly spiced loaf that is PEARfect for the holiday season. Or any season really.
- 2-3 pears
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tbsp clove buds
- slices of orange peels
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 2 cups gluten free flour blend
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 dates
- Peels the pears and place in a small pot with the spices.
- Cover with water.
- Bring to simmer on the stove until the pears are fork tender.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the almond milk and vinegar in a small bowl. Set it aside for 5 minutes to "curdle" and make vegan buttermilk.
- Mix buttermilk with the rest of the wet ingredients.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl, then carefully fold into the wet mix.
- Pour batter into a lined loaf pan.
- Carefully submerge the cooled pears into the batter.
- Bake for 50 minutes, then let the loaf cool for 20 minutes before removing from the pan.
- In a small saucepan, bring the coconut milk to a gentle simmer over medium-low heat on the stove.
- Stir in coconut sugar until dissolved.
- Remove from heat and let it cool slightly.
- Add to a blender with the dates and puree until smooth.
- Drizzle over the gingerbread loaf when it's time to eat.