Blustery, wintery, February day?
Make your own sunshine with these LEMON BARS!
A perfect harmony of tart, nutty, and sweet, you’ll never guess they’re grain-free, plant-based, and free of processed sugar.
Just look at that texture!
Can you guess the secret ingredient?
A roasted sweet potato.
Yup. Trust me.
Let’s also take a moment to talk about that crust…
I used the Vanilla Almond Nutsola mix – almonds + coconut + dates + chia + vanilla + cinnamon + sea salt. That’s it! So fabulously delicious.
The ingredients in these are fairly simple, household staples, but if you need substitutions…
almond milk: any other plant-based milk
sweet potato: for a less orange-y color, try a roasted Japanese sweet potato
arrowroot starch: cornstarch would work!
One final note: Let these cool and set in the fridge!
I know I know. Patience is hard.
But it’s a virtue. And they’re worth it!
Lemon Bars (paleo/vegan)
- 2 cups Nutsola Vanilla Almond Mix
- 2 lemons *zest and juice
- 2/3 cup almond milk
- 1 roasted sweet potato
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 2 tbsp coconut oil *melted
- 1/3 cup arrowroot powder
- Preheat the oven to 325 F.
- Firmly press and flatten the Nutsola mix into a 8×8 pan lined with parchment.
- Bake crust for 15 minutes.
- While crust is baking, blend all of the filling ingredients until smooth.
- Remove hot crust from oven, and pour filling on top.
- Return to the oven to bake for 40 minutes.
- Cool for a bit on the counter, then chill in the fridge for at least 3 hours.
- Slice and enjoy!