Layered desserts are just begging for that side angle money shot.
And this one is straight up gold.
I mean, brownie base + caramely coconut + chocolate drizzle.
Can it get any better?
Um yeah. Cause these slices of heaven are vegan, gluten-free, and nut-free.
But full of heaven.
Let’s talk about this brownie base. Made possible by the double chocolate brownie mix from Safe + Fair.
Y’all know I love from-scratch goodies, but I certainly can’t argue with the ease and absolute deliciousness of that pouch.
(FYI: they have free shipping on everything on their website…HIGHLY recommend the pea protein chips)
I only used 1/2 of the mix for this recipe – but feel free to use a whole pouch / box and a 8×8 pan. The more the merrier.
Since the mix already has all the chocolately, sweet goodness, just add 1 flax egg and some melted coconut oil.
Then press into the pan.
The caramel layer has three ingredients: coconut cream, coconut, and silan (date syrup).
You can buy coconut cream, or just scoop the thick part out of a can of full fat coconut milk.
Pour that caramel goodness over the base layer and smooth it all out.
Just do you best to refrain from eating it all…
Baking results in those nice golden brown edges – the best part in my opinion.
After it cools a bit, slice it up.
As good as they are, these babes are RICH. So maybe small pieces? I know…but you can always have 2. Or 3.
Next up: the fun messy part.
I love making my own chocolate with coconut oil, silan / maple syrup, and cacao powder. But feel free to just melt some chocolate chips!
Then get to drizzlin.
I like to chill the bars in the fridge for a sec before drizzling. That way, the chocolate sets right when it touches the bars.
But you can always chill post-drizzle too.
It’s heaven either way.
And here’s another top shot for dramatic effect.
It’s that time folks.
I recommend storing in the fridge to avoid a whole melty chocolate situation.
But is that really a bad thing?
Coconut Caramel Brownie Bars
- 1/2 package Safe + Fair Brownie Mix
- 1/2 cup coconut oil *melted and cooled
- 1 flax egg *1 tbsp flax + 2 1/2 tbsp hot water
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 2 tbsp silan (date syrup) *sub maple syrup
- 2 cups large flaked coconut
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp silan *sub maple syrup
- 3 tbsp coconut oil *melted and cooled
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the brownie base ingredients.
- Press batter into a lined loaf pan.
- Heat the coconut cream and silan in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring constantly.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add coconut flake and salt, then pour over the brownie base.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes.
- Let the bars cool, then stick in the fridge for 20 minutes. (They'll be easier to cut.)
- Cut the bars into small squares.
- Drizzle with coconut and enjoy!